The evolution of fenders on the F-Heads from 1910 onwards is fairly straightforward to understand for the purposes of preservation or restoration.  There has been some debate regarding whether 1911 and 1912 models should have valances on the front fender but generally it is accepted that the 1911 models should not and that the 1912 models should (details below).  The valances were not available separately.


The profile (cross section) of fenders from 1910 through 1913 are the same.

For 1910 the fenders are 3 ¾” wide, they have no side valances but they do have the cut-outs to accommodate the narrow forks.

For 1911 (part number 3471 for 28″ wheels) the fenders are the same as 1910.

For 1912 the fenders have added side valances but they retain the cut outs required for the early, narrower forks.  The side valances remained for all models, for all years thereafter. These valances are the same as those used on the 1914 and 1915 models.

For 1913 the forks were widened so the cut-outs were no longer required.

For 1914 and 1915 the fenders were widened again to 4 ½”.

For 1916 they were widened again to 5 1/2″ and flat riveted braces were introduced to replace the bicycle type (wire) stays of previous years.

Year            Part No.       Width             Description

1911            AI106A         3 ¾ “           Side indents, no side valances

1912            AI106A         3 ¾ “           Side indents, with side valances

1913            BI106A         3 ¾ “           No indents, with side valances

1914            CI106A         4 ½ “  (10A) No indents, with side valances

1914            CI106B         4 ½ “ (others)  No indents, with side valances

1915            DI106          4 ½ “           No indents, with side valances

DISCUSSION – What year models have side valances?

N.B. Mudguards were the original term (from the bicycle days) and they are the same as fenders. Side valances are also referred to as ‘skirts’.  When specific model literature is examined;

The ‘1911 Parts and Prices List’ clearly shows that the 1911 fenders did not have side valances.  The ‘1912 model brochure’ shows models 8, 8A, and 8D all with front skirted fenders even though the two machines on the front cover are skirt-less!

The Legend Begins’ also shows the 1911 models without skirts and the 1912 models with skirts; clearly different.  However, the ‘H.D. Parts booklet 1910-17 inclusive’ lists just one part number; AI106A for all models with 28” wheels from 1909 through 1912.  As 1909, 1910 and 1911 clearly didn’t have skirts, the implication is that neither did 1912’s models.  They cannot both be correct (or maybe they are)!

Having said all this, anyone who has read enough old H.D. literature, brochures, advertisements, etc. will know that just because something has been written down, or even photographed, that does not necessarily make it correct.

jan15 2 1913 front fender. 3 34 wide. half inch clips quarter inch holes

1912 and 1913 front fenders. Both examples on the left are the same dimensions with the same skirts and same stay brace mounts. The top fender (original paint) has no fork cut outs and is for 1913, all models. The lower fender (original -repainted) has the fork cut outs and is for 1912, all models. The fender on the right (original stripped) has no cuts and is therefore from 1913.

jan15 1 jan15 4

1913 close up of no cut outs.                            1912 with cut outs

jan15 3 jan15 5

Both examples photographed from above.  The original paint item is the 1913 type.


The profiles of the rear fenders are the same as their front equivalents. As with the front fenders, the rear fenders for the period 1911 through 1913 are 3 3/4″ wide and for 1914 through 1915 they are 4 1/2″ wide.  The 1911 part (I105) is slightly different in shape to the 1912-13 (BI105) but essentially they are the same for both single and twin cylinder models.

Year            Part No.       Width           Comment

1911            I105A           3 ¾ “           With BK263 side guard on all models

1912            BI105           3 ¾ “           With BK263 side guard on all models

1913            BI105           3 ¾ “           With BK263 side guard on all models

1914            CI108           4 ½ “           With BK263 side guard on 10A only

1914            CI105           4 ½ “           No side guard (models other than 10A)

1915            DI105          4 ½ “            Magneto models

1915            EI107           4 ½ “           Electric



All models from 1911 through 1913, singles and twins, chain and belt drive, were equipped with a guard fitted to the left hand lower section at the front of the rear fender.  This was to protect the belt from slapping against the sharp edge of the fender and later on the chain drive models, to protect the fender from damage caused by the chain.  It is also fitted to the model 10A; the belt drive machine of 1914.

photo (8a) photo (9)

The Harley Davidson part number is BK263 – Side Guard for rear mud guard.  In 1911 it was part 3621 – Belt Protector.

photo (20)  photo (19)

What started out as a belt protector later became a fender protector.  These images show why they kept the part on even after the introduction of the chain drive.

Leave a Reply